Office of the Secretary of Transportation IT Specialist (Configuration Management) GS-2210-11/12 (Open to All U.S. Citizens) in Washington, District Of Columbia
PLEASE NOTE: THIS VACANCY IS LIMITED TO THE FIRST 250 APPLICATIONS RECEIVED AND WILL CLOSE AT MIDNIGHT ON THE CLOSING DATE OR AT MIDNIGHT ON THE DAY WE RECEIVE THE 250TH APPLICATION, WHICHEVER COMES FIRST.
This position is located in the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), Office of the Chief Information Officer (OCIO) Information Technology (IT) Shard Services organization and reports to the Director of Configuration Management, Office of Information Technology (IT) Shared Services (ITSS).
The Information Technology (IT) Shared Services (IT) office integrates innovative IT services into comprehensive solutions to enable secure effective business operations for DOT and provide direct services to DOT customers. This offices has full responsibility for oversight and management of the Common Operating Environment (COE) within DOT. The office is responsible for the IT strategic planning: business and mission services, Computer Services, IT Security, Program and Project Management, Business process re-engineering; Service Desk and Network infrastructure services, Network Engineering, incorporating new and maintaining existing information technology capabilities for the COE.
The ideal candidate for this position will process a strong work ethic and ability to prioritize deliverables from multiple team members and follow through in a timely manner; excellent communication and customer service skills in a diverse workplace. Skill in maintaining cooperative relations and communications with management and staff while maintaining a high standard of professionalism.
PLEASE NOTE: This vacancy may be used to fill similar positions within 90 days for this location.
Learn more about this agency
As a IT Specialist (Configuration), you will:
- Service as a technical specialist in the ITSS, manages the development and implementation of CM to include planning, change control, Configuration Control Board coordination and support and documentation. Identifies and documents approved configuration items, such as hardware, software, etc.
- Identify and assist in establishing, documenting and maintaining initial, functional, and product baselines for COE. Maintain and create CI relationships in the configuration management database (CMDB).
- Develop key project documents in support of the project and director, such as the Project Management Plan, Configuration Management Plan, Work Breakdown Structure, and Risk Management Plan. Projects are normally broad and complex, requiring input from IM/IT professionals including network administrators, systems analysts, application developers, and computer security specialists.
- Administer the flow of system change documentation between the various change reviews and control bodies, changes requestors, and other participants in the change review and control processes.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Applications will be accepted from any U.S. Citizen.
Current/former eligible employees and VEOA eligible veterans are encouraged to also apply to: OST.CIO-2018-0014.
Questions? This job is open to 2 groups.
- #### Job family (Series)
2210 Information Technology Management
- Chief Technology Officers
- Computer Network Support Specialists
- Computer Security Specialists
- Computer Support Specialists
- Database Management System Specialists
Officers, Chief Technology
Conditions of Employment
- You must meet specialized experience to qualify.
- Submit application and resume online by 11:59 PM EST on the closing date
- Provide all required documents by closing date.
- Announcement also advertised Merit Promotion: OST.CIO-2017-0014
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- SELECTIVE SERVICE:Males born after 12/31/1959 must be registered for the Selective Service.
- DEU REQUIREMENTS: Applicants selected under delegated examining procedures may be required to successfully complete a one-year probationary period (unless already completed).
To meet the minimum qualifications for this position, you must meet either the education or experience qualifications for the grade at which you are requesting consideration.
TO QUALIFY FOR THE GS-11:
On Education, you must have :
- Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree
3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree On Experience, you must have at least* one full year* of specialized equal or equivalent to the GS-09, it must include:
Experience establishing, managing, monitoring, and reporting IT infrastructure Configuration Management plans, including maintaining version control over documentation and managing a change request system, or maintaining the information in a change request system. You can also qualify on a combination of higher level graduate education and matching experience. This experience and education must be fully documented in your resume. If using education to qualify, you must provide supporting graduate level transcripts.
TO QUALIFY FOR THE GS-: 12
On Experience, you must have at least* one full year* of specialized equal or equivalent to the GS-11, it must include:
- Experience managing the development and implementation of IT infrastructure Configuration Management, including planning, change control, Configuration Control Board coordination and support and documentation. There is no education substitution at the GS-12 level.
In addition to meeting the above described specialized experience requirements, your IT experience will be evaluated. It must include experience in the following competencies.
Attention to Detail- Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail.
Customer Service- Works with clients and customers (that is, any individuals who use or receive the services or products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services.
Oral Communication- Expresses information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately.
Problem Solving- Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.
**Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
For additional information about applying to Federal positions, please click on the following link: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-policies/#url=e4
Students enrolled in a qualifying degree program can apply if the anticipated graduation date is within six months of closing date of the announcement. Graduation transcript must be received before start date.
Other applicants must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement.**
Displaced employees may be eligible for ICTAP or CTAP priority consideration. For more information, please review the OPM Employee's Guide to Career Transition.
EEO STATEMENT: The Department of Transportation (DOT) maintains a model federal work environment that is free of discrimination. DOT ensures equal employment opportunity for employees and applicants for employment, regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), genetic information, age, disability, sexual orientation, or protected activity.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE: PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE WILL NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE.If your resume/ application does not support your questionnaire answers, we will not allow credit for your response(s). Your resume must contain sufficiently detailed information upon which to make a qualification determination. Please ensure that your resume contains specific information such as position titles, beginning and ending dates of employment for each position, average number of hours worked per week, and if the position is/was in the Federal government, you should provide the position series and grade level.
If you meet the qualification requirements, your application will be placed in one of four categories: Platinum, Gold, Silver or Bronze, which is based upon your responses to the vacancy questions. Within these categories, applicants eligible for veteran's preference that have provided supporting documents will receive selection priority over non-veterans. The top rated applications will be reviewed for the quality of your experience, education and training relevant to the position. If your resume does not support the specialized experience or if your application does not support your answers to the Vacancy Specific Questions, your final rating may be modified and/or you may be disqualified from consideration.
Your application will be rated on the extent and quality of your experience, education and training relevant to the position. The answers you select in the on-line process must be substantiated in your application package. If upon review, it is determined that your described work history, competencies, and/or supporting documents do not support your answer choices, your application may be updated or you may not be referred to the selecting official. Please ensure that your work history provides enough details to support your answers. The Automated Staffing Office is ultimately responsible for determining your final rating. To preview questions please click here.
Background checks and security clearance
Public Trust - Background Investigation
- Required Documents
ALL Applicants must provide a resume that fully supports the required specialized experience and was created within USA Jobs Resume Builder and respond to the vacancy questions by the closing date of the vacancy.
The following is a list of documents that are only required based on the type of position and consideration for which you are applying.
TRANSCRIPTS - Transcripts are REQUIRED if there is a stated education requirement for the series OR if you are substituting education for experience. The transcripts need not be official, but must show that you meet the stated education requirements, including specific major or class requirements.
- If you are applying to an engineering position and are qualifying based on possessing a current Professional Engineer (PE) license, or passing the Engineer in Training (EIT) exam, please provide a copy of PE license or written documented proof of passing the EIT.
If you have previously held a government position in the same series as this position, you may be able to provide an SF-50 showing that you have already qualified and worked in the federal service in this series. VETERANS: Your last DD214, Certificate of Release or Discharge From Active Duty, that shows the type of discharge and all dates of active duty is required to verify your eligibility. It need not be official.
If you are applying to a vacancy opened to all US Citizens under category rating and wish to be considered as a preference eligible, you need to submit a copy of your DD214.
- If you are claiming preference eligibility as a disabled veteran, you must submit proof of entitlement of this preference which is normally a valid letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs certifying to the present existence of the service-connected disability and indicating the percentage of your disability. An SF-15 is desired, but not required.
- If you are applying to a vacancy opened Status and you are requesting consideration under Veteran's Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA) (https://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/shav/#veoa), you need to provide a copy of your last DD214, which verifies your military service dates, reason for separation, OR certification of separation that shows a discharge date within 120 days of the closing of this announcement, and eligibility for consideration under the Veterans Employment Opportunity Act. NON COMPETITIVE APPLICANTS: If requesting concurrent consideration for Non-competitive (NC) appointment eligibility, you must provide the appropriate SPECIAL APPOINTING AUTHORITY DOCUMENTS, such as PCS orders (military spouse) describing move & marriage certificate; letter from VA or DD214 describing 100% disability of spouse; letter from State Vocational Office certifying disability (schedule A), etc. For more information, visit military spouse NC appointments or Persons with Disabilities NC appointments.
DISPLACED EMPLOYEES: If requesting consideration under the Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) or Interagency CTAP program (ICTAP), you must meet the well qualified standards for this vacancy (meeting minimum requirements for position and scoring at least an 85 or falling in the Gold Category) and provide all of the following documents:
- your most recent performance appraisal,
- the proof of eligibility letter from the Agency, and
- your most current SF-50, displaying current series and grade.
Failure to submit any of the required documents by the closing date of the vacancy will result in your removal from consideration for this position. Please review your application prior to final submission and ensure you have submitted all appropriate documents. Uploading documents to USAJobs does NOT ensure inclusion with your application to our system. You must verify that the documents are in the system with your application prior to final submission.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
How to Apply
You must submit a complete application package (including resume, vacancy questions and supporting documents) no later than midnight Eastern Time on the closing date of the announcement.
- To begin, click the "Apply Online" button on the job announcement posting.
- Follow the directions to register, submit all required documents and complete the assessment questionnaire.
- You may review your saved application(s) at https://my.usajobs.gov. If you are having difficulty applying online, please contact the DOT Automated Staffing Office via email us at*Transjobs@dot.gov*
Agency contact information
Automated Staffing Office
DOT, OFFICE OF THE SECRETARY Submit Application and Documents Online 1200 New Jersey Ave SE / HAHR - 50 Washington, District of Columbia United States
Learn more about this agency
You may check your application status into by logging into your USAJOBS account. Within two weeks of the closing date, your application will be reviewed and rated. Ratings will be determined based on the documents and information received by the closing date. The most highly qualified candidates will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration. If you are selected for an interview, the hiring manager will contact you directly. Once a hiring decision is made, we will notify all applicants of their final status.
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/493824300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 03/14/2018 to 03/23/2018
Salary: $68,036 to $106,012 per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 11 - 12
Work schedule: Full-Time - Full Time -
Appointment type: Permanent